Your child has been invited to his/her friend’s birthday party. Your child is thrilled and can’t wait to go gift shopping, but even after a long time roaming the aisles of your local toy store, you both still haven’t decided on something.
Here are 5 birthday gift ideas you cannot really go wrong with.
- Pretend toys. At 6, all children have active imaginations and a good gift will give them new avenues to explore. There are a wide variety of dress-up dolls with several accessory options that your child and you can choose from. There are dolls that come dressed as doctors, horse-riders, mermaids, etc. You can also choose beautiful ethnic hand-puppets that not only can yield hours of storytelling fun, but also can teach the child about their country’s rich folklore. Or how about doll houses, puppet theatres, etc?
- D-I-Y Art Sets. There are a wide variety of do-it-yourself art kits easily available in all children’s toy stores. The wonderful thing about this is, that whether you choose mosaic making, painting, origami, jewellery making or sand art, the little girl not only will have a great time making their creation, but they will also enjoy the sense of accomplishment that comes from a job well done.
- Favourite movie/TV-show merchandise. Is your child and all his/her friends obsessed with certain cartoons or TV shows? A lot of 6-year-olds are. So why not buy this little girl a watch or a backpack or snack box with a water bottle that has her favourite TV/movie characters on it?
- Books. Children’s publishing is going through a glorious period right now. We have access to wonderfully illustrated and very creative books written by Indians for Indian readers and there is no greater gift then sharing ones’ love of reading with another. Let your child come with you book shopping, and choose a small stack of books with large illustrations and few words.
- Science experiment kits. Little girls at six are curious little thinkers. It is a great time to introduce them to the expansive world of science. There are a wide variety of science experiment sets available for children. There are several products in the market which encourage children to step out into nature to observe insects or dig fossils, etc. Try these out. Educational toys that are interactive and fun are often appreciated by the parents as much as the birthday child herself.
It is always a good idea to know who you are shopping for. Take your own child shopping with you, or feel free to ask the child or their parents or siblings about what the birthday girl will enjoy. Remind your child that the party is less to do with the presents and more to do with fun and spending time with your friends.