Children of today tend to be fussier when it comes to food. You will have to come up with creative ways to tackle such picky eaters. Check out the interesting recipes below.
1. Art Food Party
Most often, finicky eaters need their attention to be drawn to food. In order to do so, try to plate the food in an arty way.
- Cut out shapes with sandwiches, and decorate with nuts or cheese or vegetables that you use.
- Tomatoes, cucumber, cheese sheets, almonds, raisins and berries can all be arranged creatively and ‘painted’ with ketchup or chutney to resemble shapes or animals or characters that kids love.
- Cut and chop fruits in various shapes and arrange to create a good picture.
Take a ½ inch apple slice, insert two toothpicks at the two ends and push grapes into the four toothpick corners to get a car.
- It is good to use different coloured fruits and vegetables in one serving to give a colourful appeal.
2. ‘Shake’ your Fruit
One of the best ways to help children eat more fruits and nuts is to make them into smoothies or shakes. Milkshakes are the easiest. You can also blend different combination of fruits and nuts.
- Strawberry Milk Shake
- Blend a cup of washed and sliced strawberries along with ¼ cup milk, 1 scoop ice-cream and 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla essence.
- Banana Almond Smoothie
- Blend two peeled and chopped ripe bananas along with ¼ teaspoon vanilla essence, ¼ cup of powdered almonds, 2 teaspoons sugar and almond milk or whole milk.
3. Freeze Some Ice
Come summer, you can always freeze some fruit. Kids love to lick or chew and eat slowly. You will also be satisfied that they are eating their serving of fruit.
- Cut fruits such as watermelon and pineapple into ½ inch thick rectangle shapes. Insert ice-cream sticks and freeze.
- Pour fresh fruit juice (mango or orange) pulsed with some sugar, into icicle moulds and freeze them.
4. Toast Your Pizza
With some healthy whole wheat bread, cheese, and available herbs at home, you can easily have a quick, fun and simple snack ready for your child. Involve your child also in the making of this toasty pizza.
- Toast a slice of bread lightly on one side.
- Stir fry your choice of chopped vegetables, preferably grated carrots, corn, and capsicum.
- Take a slice of cheese, and spread it on the toasted side.
- Take a tablespoon of the hot stir fried vegetables and spread on the slice of cheese.
- Sprinkle your choice of herbs, preferably oregano and basil.
- Now toast this on the bottom side on a tawa for a few minutes until the heat starts to melt the cheese.
- Serve hot with ketchup.