Being pregnant is a long wait of nine months. Other than watching the baby bump grow there is not much you can do at this point. Buying baby stuff is perhaps the first “real” thing you get to do in preparation for the baby’s arrival. These are five essential pieces of baby furniture that you must invest in.
- Crib: Your baby will be using the crib till they are ready to move into their own bed at the age of 2 or 3. Therefore this is an investment worth making. Make sure the collapsible side has firm locks. Also make sure that the gaps between the rods on the sides are not such that the baby’s hand or leg could get wedged between them. You can go in for a crib with side drawers if you are short of storage space in the house.
- High Chair: This gives a great start to meal times. Your baby learns to sit and address the food at eye level. It encourages them to start eating on their own sooner and improves their hand-eye coordination. Make sure the high chair has a simple design so that their fingers do not get caught. If it has wheels, make sure they are locked down. Look for one with a five point harness.
- Car Seat: This is the safest way for your baby to travel. Buy this as soon as your baby is born. Make sure it matches their weight and height. It eliminates the need for another person while you drive and keep them safe over bumps and turns. The seat should be held tightly by the seat belt with very little sideways movement.
- Baby Carrier: This keeps your baby close to you and snug, while your hands are free to carry the bags and maybe hold your elder one’s hand. They take the load off from your arms and move it to your shoulders which are stronger. Plus this makes it easy for the dads to carry their babies.
- Stroller: You are an on-the-move mom and you have places to go to. A stroller is the best way to take your baby along. Go for one where the back of the stroller folds up so that your baby can lie down flat when they are young and then sit upright later. Look for one which is light and can be easily maneuvered. It should also fold easily so that you can carry it with you in the car. It would be nice if it also had space to store groceries and other things since you will not be moving out without a reason. Make sure the handle bars have an appropriate height and you do not have to stoop.
Of course your list of essentials can include many other things depending upon your budget and lifestyle. The idea is to keep your baby safe and healthy and also make life easy for you.