In all the tips for baby care you read up to prepare for being a parent, sometimes the obvious stuff gets lost in the mix. Without complicating your education as young parents any further, we have 7 newborn baby care tips that will help you navigate the challenging first phase of parenting.
How to take care of your baby?
- Feed on time: You can get cranky and feel light headed without food. The same rule applies to your baby. Make it a point to feed your baby on time and if you’re prone to forgetting things, some of the best apps for baby care come with a friendly reminder feature to help you keep track of your baby’s diet.
- Don’t do it all alone: Often, asking for help can seem like the worst things to do, making your feel inadequate. Don’t put yourself through that. Parenting is not a job for one and asking your partner or parents for help is not the end of the world.
- Massage: A newborn baby’s bones are not as strong as a fully grown human’s, which means you need to be extra careful while massaging them. Ensure that you read up and practice before actually massaging your baby.
- Ways to bond: Since you can’t talk to a newly born baby, the task of bonding with them becomes purely physical. Cradle your baby in your arms as often as you can, take them on strolls, allow skin to skin contact, and give them as much attention as you humanly can.
- Umbilical cord care: Don’t rush into cleaning your baby’s navel and removing the root of the umbilical cord in the process. The cord is supposed to come off in 2-3 weeks time post birth and unnaturally trying to get rid of it can harm your baby and affect their health.
- Cleanliness and hygiene: Give your 2-3 weeks old baby a sponge bath only. Once the umbilical cord falls off, you can switch to a water bath twice or thrice a week. But remember to use only lukewarm water for the bath as anything extreme (hot or cold), won’t sit well with them.
- About diapers: As new parents, prepare to change your baby’s diaper up to 10 times a day. Keep checking for a wet diaper and change immediately if you find one. Babies wearing a spoilt diaper for extended periods of time are more prone to catching infections from all the germs present.
These are some of the general tips you need to be aware of before bringing a newborn baby into the world. Follow the tips mentioned above to the dot and your baby will be healthy and happy.