INGREDIENT (240 ml cup used)
- Bajra (pearl millet) – ½ cup (pre-soak for 8 hours)
- Moong dal – ½ cup (washed and drained)
- Ghee- 2 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder- ¼ teaspoon
- Fried onion rings
- A sprig of coriander
- Mix the soaked bajra, moong dal, salt, two cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook it to four whistles on low flame.
- Add ghee in a tempering pan and put the cumin seeds. When the seeds begin to crackle, add the turmeric powder and sauté for few seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the khichdi and mix well.
- You can add hot water to adjust the consistency of the khichdi. Once it is well cooked, remove from heat and garnish it with fried onion rings and coriander.
- The khichdi can be served to your baby with beetroot-carrot raita or any other raita.
Bajra will keep your baby feeling fuller and energetic for longer. Bajra is rich in iron and packed with vitamin B6, niacin and thiamin. Vitamin B6 helps in the production of serotonin that regulates sleep cycle. Bajra also contains insoluble fiber or roughage that aids in digestion and stool formation. Bajra contains magnesium that is essential for development of bones, nerve and muscle functions.