INGREDIENTS (250 ml cup used)
- Butter – 4 tablespoons
- Fresh broccoli florets- 1 ½ cups, cut into smaller florets
- Onion- 1 large, chopped
- Carrot- 1 large, grated
- Salt – to taste
- Freshly ground pepper – ½ teaspoon
- All-purpose flour – 3 tablespoons
- Chicken broth – 4 cups
- Fresh cream – ½ cup
METHOD OF PREPARATION:
- Melt the butter in a hot pan and add the broccoli, chopped onions, grated carrots, salt, pepper, and sauté the vegetables till the onions become translucent. You will need to sauté them for about six minutes.
- Add the all-purpose flour, mix well and keep stirring until the flour turns brown.
- Add the chicken broth and fresh cream to the vegetable and flour mixture and cover the pan with a lid to bring it to a boil.
- Let the soup simmer on low flame until the broccoli is tender. Once the vegetables have softened, turn the flame off and let it cool for some time.
- Transfer the contents to a blender, add salt and pepper, and whisk to a smooth consistency.
- Reheat to serve warm, if required. Add a dollop of butter to the soup as a garnish.
Broccoli is extremely rich in vitamin A. Half cup of cooked broccoli contains 1207 IU of vitamin A, 27 calories and 1.86 grams of protein. It is also a good source of vitamin C, vitamin B-complex, folate, vitamin K, potassium, phosphorus, calcium, and magnesium.