INGREDIENTS (240 ml cup used)
- Chopped vegetables – carrots, peas, broccoli, corn, onions, tomatoes – 2 cups
- Chicken stock – ½ cup
- Soy sauce – 1 tablespoon
- Teriyaki sauce – 1 tablespoon (it is available readymade in the market. Alternatively, you can prepare it at home too.)
- Corn-starch – 1 teaspoon
- Grated ginger – 2 teaspoon
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts- 2, cut into cubes
- Chicken broth – ¼ cup
- Salt – to taste
- Cooking oil (refined) – 2 tablespoon
METHOD OF PREPARATION:
- Soy sauce – ¼ cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Ground ginger – ½ teaspoon
- Garlic powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Brown sugar – 5 tablespoon
- Honey – 1 to 2 tablespoon
- Corn-starch – 2 tablespoon
- Cold water – ¼ cup
- Mix all ingredients except cold water and cornstarch in a deep pan and turn the flame on.
- Dissolve cornstarch in cold water and add the sauce. Keep stirring to avoid the formation of lumps. Let the sauce thicken to your desired consistency on low flame.
- The above quantity of ingredients yields about 1 ½ cup of sauce.
Chicken and vegetable stir fry:
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a wok. Add the grated ginger, chopped onions and sauté for ten seconds.
- Add the chicken pieces and sauté for one minute till the chicken pieces start sizzling.
- Remove and keep the chicken aside.
- Heat the remaining oil and add the vegetables. Sauté it for one to two minutes, add the chicken broth and mix well. Stir for three to four minutes.
- Now add the cooked chicken, teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, cornstarch and mix well.
- Cook till the gravy thickens and mixes well with the chicken.
- The consistency of the gravy depends on your preference. You can leave it thick or you can the sauce be absorbed by the chicken and vegetables completely.
- It can be eaten on its own or served with steamed rice.
- You can also add boiled macaroni lightly tossed in oil to the chicken and vegetables, and make it a complete meal.
- 100 grams of de-boned and de-skinned chicken contains 165 calories, 31 g protein, and 4 g of total fat.
- Vegetables are rich sources of calcium, beta-carotene, vitamin B-complex, vitamin C, vitamin A, and vitamin K.