All that a woman needs is privacy and time to simply drink in what has just happened: she became a mom. She needs a few hours to cherish the moments before all the noise, opinions, visitors and presents come to shower in on her little world.
Even before she has a chance to take rest, she has a hard time initiating breast feeding the visitors come barging into the hospital room wanting to take a first look at the newborn. The home is no exception.
Here are a few suggestions:
- Do not let anyone stay with you that you cannot cry in front of.
- Avoid people who give you non-stop advices.
- Spread out the visitors.
- Put them to work.
- Go to people you feel comfortable with.
- Let your partner be the buffer between you and your visitors.
- Meet friends and relatives for coffee where you can stay as long as you want to.
- Make your friends bring food for you.
- Take advantage of visiting relatives. Ask them to hold the baby while you go take a shower.
- Choose your visitors wisely.
- For anything else, blame it on the hormones.