Though your baby will be away from home for just a few hours, the first day at playschool can be challenging for both you and the little one.
Your baby has probably been preparing to go to school for a few weeks now. S/he may have been super excited to take a new lunch box and bag. But all this excitement may not turn out to be a smooth and tension-free experience. Here are some tips for you to help your baby to make the first day of preschool a manageable experience.
- Socializing is a skill that your baby learns gradually. Try to introduce your little one to the ideas of sharing and taking turns before going to preschool. This will make the task less challenging.
- For the first day at playschool, get ready earlier and make sure you reach the school on time.
- In case the mother does not go out to work, to prepare your baby for the playschool, you have to make your baby spend some time away from both of you(the parents). Try to leave your baby for some time to other people, like carers or grandparents. Initially, start by leaving him/her for shorter periods and gradually increase the duration.
- If the playschool allows, then let your baby take a comfort object – may be the favourite stuffed toy – to the school. Once the child starts to feel comfortable with his surrounding, s/he will be able to let it go.
- Before sending your baby to playschool, you should try to begin the process of potty training. Situation will be calmer if s/he has learnt to use the toilet by that time.
- You should pay a visit to playschool for the first time with your child and find out how s/he responds to the surrounding.
- Do not let your baby see that you are anxious about the playschool. Keep a happy and smiling face and encourage him/her to go to school more confidently without any hesitations.
- When it is time for you to leave your child in care of the teachers and exit, make sure you let him/her know that you are going to come back soon. S/he may still try to cling to you and cry, but do not lose your hope seeing that sight. You may find that s/he is having a good time in his school, after few minutes of crying.
- Give your little one enough time to adjust with the school. You may find it difficult to take him/her to school during initial days, or when the school re-opens after a holiday. Once the child gets used to the playschool schedules, s/he will look forward to going to school and playing with friends.