Wearing and taking off clothes is an important skill for your baby to learn. These are early signs of independence.
Your baby may not be able to wear or take off clothes till the time s/he is three years old. However, you can lay the groundwork when your little one is still a toddler and slowly teach him/her how to get dressed and undressed with time.
It may be a very difficult task for the baby to wear and take-off clothes at the age of two years.
Here are some tips to teach children how to get dressed and undressed on their own
- It will take quite a lot of time to teach your baby the idea of dressing. So try to train the little one when you are not in a hurry. If s/he needs 20 minutes to get dressed do not try to bring it down to 10 minutes.
- Start with clothes that are easy to wear, like pants with elastic waistbands. These are easy to pull up and pull down.
- Try to make your baby understand the difference between dirty clothes and clean clothes. You can use simple guidelines like wearing clean socks and underwear every day.
- Try teaching your baby how to take off clothes first. It is easier than wearing.
- When the baby is trying to learn how to take off or wear clothes, always be nearby as s/he may not be able to pull the t-shirt down properly or put both legs into the same side of the lower and end up struggling and falling down.
Dressing and undressing abilities of babies come of motor skills, which they learn with time, as their skills develop.