INGREDIENTS (240 ml cup used)
- All purpose flour – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – ½ teaspoon
- Baking powder – 2 teaspoon
- Milk – 1 cup
- Cooking oil – 3 tablespoon
- Vanilla essence – 1 teaspoon
- Oil to cook the pancakes
- Take a mixing bowl and add flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, milk, oil, vanilla essence and enough water to form a smooth paste then mix all these ingredients. The batter should be of a coating consistency. Add more water if required.
- Take a frying pan of a wide diameter and heat oil in it. To see if skillet is hot enough, sprinkle with a few drops of water. If the drops skitter around, heat is just right.
- Grease the pan with 1 teaspoon oil for each pancake. When the oil becomes hot, increase the heat again, and pour batter in the pan. Lower the heat and cover the pan for about 10 seconds. Uncover the lid and check if the edges of the pancake have started to leave the sides of the pan on its own. Once it does, the pancake is well done.
- Just loosen the edges and turn the pan upside down over a plate and serve. You can add fruits like banana, strawberry or blueberry to the batter to give a fresh and crunchy texture to the pancakes.
- You can serve it with apple sauce or fruit sauce.
Whole wheat flour is a rich source of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and fibers. Some children cannot digest the protein gluten found in flour. For such children, gluten free flour should be used. Whole wheat flour is also a good source of dietary fiber, which helps in keeping your baby’s bowel movements regular.