Here is a list of essentials to pack for your baby:
- Going home outfit
- Booties and socks
- Hat or soft cap: Babies lose the majority of their body heat through their heads.
- Receiving blankets: Newborns love to be swaddled, and these blankets are perfect for swaddling.
- Newborn diapers: Make sure you fold down the diaper around the umbilical cord area.
- Wipes: It is best to begin with the wipes that are designed for newborns or sensitive skin.
- Mittens: Many newborns will have longer nails, so they can easily scratch their face and other parts of their bodies.
It is always better to buy baby outfits in at least three different sizes. Your baby will need a going home outfit too. Include socks and booties, a soft cap and mittens too.
The genius of gender neutral baby clothes cannot be overestimated. Having neutral baby clothes, you can keep it simple and even recycle the clothes. Shop for matching outfits, bodysuits, pyjamas. Try to build a wardrobe of clothes that is appropriate for all occasions. It is best to buy clothes of soft fabric and in pleasing and soothing colours.
Babies grow fast, so it is best not to spend a lot of money on many outfits in the smallest sizes. In the first few weeks, your baby needs clothes that are comfortable and easy to get on and off.
One of the most cautious drives you will ever take is the one bringing your baby home with you. Newborns look and feel fragile and they represent a world of uncertainty. The 40 weeks, give or take, of pregnancy is your opportunity to not only pick out names, it also allows you to plan and prepare.