Fruit cake has a festive feel to it. Children love fruit cakes, which are healthier than pastries that are loaded with excess sugar used in the frosting. Here is a simple fruit cake recipe you can try out at home.
INGREDIENTS (250 ml cup used)
- All-purpose flour (Maida) – 250 grams
- Powdered sugar – 250 grams
- Butter – 250 grams
- Egg white – 4
- Egg yolk – 5
- Dry fruits – 250 grams (mix of dates, raisins, sultanas)
- Almonds and cashew nuts – 50 grams (together)
- Tutti frutti – 1 tablespoon
- Sugar – 100 grams (to make 1 cup caramelized syrup)
- Orange juice – ¼ cup
- Baking Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Baking soda – ¼ teaspoon
- Spice powder (mixture of cinnamon, cloves and cardamom) – 1 teaspoon
- Vanilla essence – 1 ½ teaspoon
- Grape wine – 1 cup (optional)
- To make the caramel syrup: Place 100 grams of sugar in the saucepan. Heat the sugar on high flame. When the sugar melts and becomes brown in colour, add half cup of water carefully. Stir it well and keep it aside.
- You can soak chopped dates and raisins, sultanas in one cup of grape wine for 1 day and then coat them with flour. Then add finely chopped almonds, cashew nut, tutti frutti to it. Mix everything and keep it aside. We are coating it with flour, so that it will not settle at the bottom of the cake.
- Sieve maida with baking powder, baking soda and spice mix thrice (3 times). Keep it aside. Keep everything ready before starting to prepare the fruit cake, so that it will be easy for you. Now you have caramel syrup, dry fruits and nuts mixture, orange juice and vanilla essence ready. Beat egg white until frothy and keep it ready.
- To prepare the cake mix you need to mix butter, powdered sugar and egg yolk and mix it. Use an electric beater if you have one. Now add a little dry fruits coated with maida and mix gently. Fold in a little flour, add a little caramel syrup and mix gently, fold in some egg white and then add orange juice and mix gently.
- Then again start folding dry fruits followed by a little amount of maida, little quanity of caramel syrup, and egg white. Repeat the above procedure in the same order with the remaining fruits, flour, caramel syrup and egg white. Gently mix. Now add vanilla essence.
- Preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 180 degree C. Grease the baking tray or line it with a butter paper. Pour the cake mixture into the tray. Avoid pouring too much in the center.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour at 180 degree C. Timings might change depending on the oven type.
- Insert a knife in the middle to check if the cake is done. If it comes out clean, then it is done otherwise bake it for some more time.
Eggs provide many important nutrients such as vitamin A, vitamin D, vitamin E, folate, iron, zinc and high quality protein. Eggs help in building antibodies and are good for skin, teeth, bones and eyes. Raisins prevent tooth decay and oral problems and are also useful in promoting healthy bones. Dates are high in antioxidants and promote cardiovascular health. Almonds are one of the best nuts for your baby as they are extremely nutritious. Cashews are a rich source of zinc, selenium, vitamin B-complex and copper.