Fruits should be an essential part of your baby’s diet routine. You should make sure that your child has at least one seasonal fruit daily. This recipe of fruit sandwich is simple and easy to prepare, and is quite tasty too.
INGREDIENTS (250 ml cup used)
- Whole wheat or white bread – 4 slices
- Butter – 3 teaspoon
- Fruit sauce – ½ cup
- Apple – 1, finely chopped
- Sapodilla or banana – 1, chopped
- Pomegranate seeds – ½ cup
- Papaya – ¼ cup, finely chopped
- Green Chutney – 1 cup
- A pinch of black salt
- Strawberries – 1 ½ cups, fresh or frozen
- Cherries – 1 ½ cups
- Orange juice – 3 tablespoon
- Cinnamon powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Freshly grated ginger or ginger powder – 1 teaspoon
- Powdered sugar – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves – 2 bunch
- Mint leaves – 2 bunch
- Green chilly – 1 or 2 (optional)
- Salt – to taste
- Lemon juice – 2 teaspoon
- Chop the strawberries and cherries into coarse pieces.
- In a small saucepan place the fruits and orange juice on medium heat.
- Once the sauce starts bubbling, add sugar, reduce the heat and use the back of a spoon to mash the fruits.
- Continue cooking over low heat, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle cinnamon powder. Mix well and let the sauce cool.
- Transfer to a clean glass jar, refrigerate and use as required.
- Pick and wash the mint and coriander leaves thoroughly. Transfer to the wet grinder jar, add green chilly and grind to a smooth paste.
- Remove from grinder jar, add salt and lemon juice and mix well.
- Trim the sides of the bread slices and toast them. Spread butter on two slices and fruit sauce on the other two.
- Now mix all the fruits well along with the green chutney and black salt.
- Spread the fruit mixture on the buttered slices and cover with the fruit sauce slices.
- Cut into triangles and serve immediately.
Fruits provide important vitamins such as vitamin C and folic acid, powerful antioxidants, fiber, water and phytonutrients. The nutritional values of fruits are high, and it varies with the type of fruit consumed.