Here is a tasty and innovative way to slip in some fruits in to your baby’s diet. This dessert is full of surprises and your kid is going to love this recipe.
INGREDIENTS (250 ml cup used)
- Plain sponge cake – 1 or 2 small (you can also use the packaged cup cakes)
- Raspberry or strawberry jelly – 1 packet
- Fruits like apple, mango, sapodilla, pineapple, etc. – 1 cup
- Sugar syrup or sugar water – 2 to 3 tablespoon
- Vanilla Custard powder – 2 tablespoon
- Milk – 2 ½ cups
- Warm Milk – 2 tablespoon for dissolving custard powder
- Sugar – 4 tablespoon
- Cherries, nuts and whipped cream – to garnish
- A glass bowl or parfait glass for serving
- Boil ¼ cup of water with 2 tablespoon of sugar for a few minutes. Let it cool. This is the sugar water.
- Boil milk, dissolve 2 tablespoon of custard powder in 2- 3 tablespoon of warm milk and make a paste.
- Once the milk boils, reduce the heat to low and add the custard paste to the milk slowly, stirring continuously. After it becomes a little thick, remove from flame and set it aside to cool.
- Refrigerate the custard for some time.
- You can use any fruits of your choice like pineapple, apple, mangoes, strawberry, seedless grapes. The fruits should be firm to bite as pulpy fruits like bananas and oranges make the trifle soggy. Cut the fruits into small cubes and keep it aside. You can keep the chopped apples in a cup of water to which a few drops of lemon juice has been added, to prevent discoloration.
- Prepare the jelly as per instructions on the pack. Raspberry or strawberry jelly makes the trifle look attractive and colorful. After it cools, pour the jelly in a tray and refrigerate it for it to set. Do not keep it in the freezer.
- To assemble the trifle, take a wide glass bowl or a parfait glass. Cut the sponge cake horizontally and arrange the bottom layer with pieces of cake and sprinkle sugar syrup r sugar water on it. Press it down firmly with a spoon.
- Now pour the cold custard on top of it and spread it evenly. Top it off with the chopped fruits. Then slice the jelly and cover the fruits layer.
- Repeat the layering process thrice.
- Top it with nuts, cherries or whipped cream.
- Keep it in the refrigerator for 5-6 hours to set and watch your baby enjoy the delicious and yummy taste of fruit trifle.
- Fruits provide important vitamins such as vitamin C and folic acid, powerful antioxidants, fiber, water and phytonutrients. The nutritional values of fruits are high, and your baby should be given one seasonal fruit daily.