Kangaroo Mother Care is one of the newer parenting terms, referring to the skin-to-skin contact between a mother/father and the newborn baby. Mostly used for babies in the neonatal intensive care unit. Let’s look at what exactly Kangaroo care involves, if the method actually works, and other baby care tips.
The Kangaroo mother care is named after the way Kangaroos keep their offspring in the pouch on their bellies. The human version also involves a similar process. The newborn baby is placed in direct contact with the mother or father’s bare chest. The parents can then either rock, cuddle, or whisper comforting words into the baby’s ear.
The idea behind Kangaroo parenting is to allow the parent and child to bond even while the child is in neonatal intensive care unit and spend some quality time and get to know one another.
Given that Kangaroo parenting is recommended for babies in the neonatal intensive care unit, the main objective is to help the baby be at ease and bond with their parents. But there are many other benefits of Kangaroo parenting, making them a great parenting option for both full-term babies and premature ones. Here are some of the benefits of Kangaroo parenting:
- Kangaroo mother care helps the baby relax, which in turn allows for better sleeping patterns.
- According to the World Health Organisation, Kangaroo mother care can help with weight gain and also improve head circumference growth.
- The same report by the World Health Organisation also claims that Kangaroo parenting helps in regulating the baby’s breathing, temperature, and heart rate.
- Babies who have been subjected to Kangaroo parenting become less fussy and experience less pain than babies who haven’t.
- Since Kangaroo parenting involves feeling the baby close your chest, they become more susceptible to breastfeeding and don’t cause too much trouble with breast milk.
- Babies who are introduced to Kangaroo parenting also leave the hospital much earlier.
Clearly, there’s a lot to like about Kangaroo parenting and the benefits are undeniable. Start Kangaroo mother care and keep the positive change in your newborn’s life.
To know more about this and other useful information, download the BabyBerry App today!