Is your baby refusing to have the same old plain tempered dal or sambhar? Here is an interesting lentil recipe that is high on taste without compromising on nutrition. You can serve this with either steamed rice or roti.
INGREDIENTS (250 ml cup used)
- Masoor dal (split red lentil) – ½ cup
- Oil – 2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Chopped onions – ¼ cup
- Greens like Chawli or cow pea, Coriander leaves and Fenugreek leaves – 1 ½ cups
- Dried mango powder – 1 teaspoon
- Chopped tomatoes – ½ cup
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- 2 cloves of garlic, 2 green chillies (optional) and 1 piece of ginger – ground to smooth paste
METHOD OF PREPARATION
- Pick, wash and drain dal. Pour two cups of water in the dal and pressure cook till three whistles.
- Heat oil in a wok and add the cumin seeds and onions and sauté for two minutes.
- Now add the boiled dal, greens, dried mango powder, tomatoes, turmeric powder, the ground paste, ½ cup water, salt and cook for five to seven minutes till the dal reaches desired consistency.
- Serve it hot with roti or parantha.
Masoor dal is a rich source of protein essential for the overall growth and development of your baby. 100 grams of Masoor dal provides 346 calories. The addition of fenugreek leaves, cow pea and coriander leaves mean more green power in the form of folate, vitamins and minerals.