Common cough and cold can be easily treated with home remedies. But if the symptoms are causing her to stop eating or sleeping it is important to call the doctor. If the fever lasts for more than a couple of days or if she has a high fever she should consult the physician.
There are many effective home remedies for common cough and cold for pregnant mothers and new mothers too. Most of them can be found in her kitchen itself.
Some simple home remedies are listed below:
- One of the simplest and easy remedy is to lightly crush and sauté 4 to 5 cloves of garlic in a little ghee and make the mother eat it.
- Juice 4 to 5 cloves of garlic, two tomatoes, and a lemon to make a delicious drink. This can be had as a soup too by adding a little rock salt.
- Boiling a mixture of haldi and a glass of milk and making the mother drink it with a little honey to taste is one of the most effective home remedies for cough and cold.
- Herbal tea prepared with pepper, ginger, tulsi and cinnamon help relieve the symptoms of cold and cough.
- A simple tea made by boiling fresh tulsi leaves, strained, and adding one tablespoon of lemon juice and drinking it while it is still warm improves immunity against cold.
- Roasted and crushed pepper and sugar can relieve the irritation from coughing.
- Chopped and dried ginger pieces can be eaten to reduce the irritation in her throat.
- Another very simple ginger lozenge is to chop a small quantity of ginger and extract the juice from it. Roast and powder a few pepper corns. Mix the ginger juice, pepper powder, a pinch of turmeric and add a little honey to make a thick paste. Roll it into small balls to make it into toffees. The mother can put these in her mouth and suck on this to get relief from throat irritation.
It is important for the mother, either expecting or the new mother, to protect herself from contracting cough and cold. She should take some precaution against it.
- She should keep herself hydrated by drinking lots of fluid and water.
- Taking a hot bath might help.
- Using saline spray for blocked nose.
- Gargling with warm salt water.
- Taking an extra pillow under her head to ease blocked nose.
- Most importantly she should stay warm and have lots of rest.