Hair fall may occur due to various reasons. The hormonal fluctuations and bodily changes may be responsible for the hair fall but this is usually temporary which goes away after the baby is born.
Some factors which lead to hair fall are:
- Genetic Factors
- Hormonal imbalance
- Skin allergies or skin diseases.
Home remedies are very effective in controlling hair fall. But a genetic or hereditary hair fall problem needs professional help. Using natural and home remedies reduce hair fall due to skin infection and allergies. They are safe for pregnant ladies as well as the new mothers who may have sensitive skin.
Here are some home remedies which will help control hair loss:
- Oil massage: Massaging the scalp with warm coconut, almond, olive or mustard oil will nourish the scalp.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe vera gel when applied to the scalp could treat hair loss occurring due to dryness of scalp and other skin disorders.
- Amla: also known as the Indian gooseberry is one of the best natural remedies when dealing with hair fall. Amla can either be boiled in the oil that is to be massaged or taken orally. It not only prevents hair fall but also strengthens hair.
- Neem: Neem leaves are the natural antibacterial agent that prevents the growth of bacteria that may lead to hair fall. It is a very effective herbal remedy to tackle hair loss not only during pregnancy but also after the child is born. A paste of fresh neem leaves or fresh neem leaves boiled in the oil is equally effective.
- Egg white: Hair pack made by blending one egg white and two table spoon of olive oil can be applied to the scalp. Leave it on for about half an hour and rinse off with lukewarm or cold water.
- Fenugreek seeds: Also called “Methi”, this common and easily available herb can do wonders to the hair. Soak the fenugreek seeds in water overnight. Applying the strained water on the scalp and rinsing off with water after an hour or two not only makes the hair healthy but also treats dandruff. A paste of roasted methi can also be applied on the scalp directly or it can also be added to the oil while heating it. On cooling, this oil can be massaged onto the scalp.
- Curd: Curd is an excellent tonic which helps prevent hair loss. It acts as a conditioner for the hair and also improves the quality of the hair. Applying the paste of curd on the scalp and washing it off after 10 minutes will help prevent hair loss.
- Bhringraj: Dried leaves of Bhringraj taken with honey or milk twice a day prevent hair loss. Applying a paste of fresh Bhringraj on the scalp and washing it off after half an hour is also equally effective. Bhringraj tablets and powders are easily available in the market.
- Dry fruits and flax seeds can be added to the regular diet of the pregnant mother as well the new mother. Being rich in omega 3 and fats also leads to good and healthy hair.
- It is best to avoid using hair colours and styling tools for your hair. Frequent colouring can make hair dry. Blow drying also dries the scalp. Letting the hair dry naturally is advisable. Using a wide toothed comb and not combing wet hair also prevents hair loss. One should also avoid using too hot water to wash hair.
Too much of stress can also lead to hair fall. Usually, hair starts growing normally between six to 12 months after delivery. If hair fall continues with the same intensity till the baby is a year old, then the doctor should be consulted. There may be some kind of deficiency.