Pregnant women have a greater risk of getting a cold or the flu as their immune system is weakened during pregnancy. There are a lot of possible causes of a sore throat like allergies, asthma, bacterial or fungal infections, pollutants or chemicals, but most are due to viral infections. A sore throat causes throat inflammation that is painful and may lead to trouble swallowing and even breathing. It is sometimes accompanied by sneezing and running nose.
Natural remedies are very effective for a pregnant mother who has a sore throat. Some of them include:
- Gargling with warm salt water
- Drinking hot water mixed with honey and lemon
- Drinking lots of fluid
- Using a facial steamer or breathing warm humid air helps loosen congestion.
- Elevating the head to help sleep better.
- Taking a hot foot bath with some salt added to it
- Rubbing oil (Mustard oil or coconut oil)on the foot and wearing a pair of cotton socks while going to sleep
- Drinking chicken soup helps relieve inflammation and soothe congestion.
- Drinking a cup of tea, without milk, which has been boiled with a bay leaf, two cloves, a small piece of ginger and a few peppercorns will soothe the throat.