A child imbibes what he sees around him. The parents should use simple words and language to let him know what they expect and the rules of good behaviour. The parents should be firm, respectful and kind with their words. Good manners help a child to be confident.
Some basic guidelines a parent can follow to inculcate good manners in the child:
- A child should learn to be polite and respect others.
- He should always be encouraged to speak the truth.
- Teach him good etiquettes, like table manners, keeping quiet while others are talking and using “Please”, “Thank you”, “Sorry”, “Welcome”.
- Should be taught how to be kind to people and animals, care for others and share with others too.
- Temper tantrums will not be tolerated.
Sometimes it is a good idea to ignore the child when he is misbehaving. This will help him understand that his behaviour is not acceptable.
The parents should take care to be polite and patient with the child too. Punishing the child for misbehaving may have the adverse effect on the little one.