Although you want to lose the pregnancy weight as soon as possible after the birth of the baby, the body needs to recover from the ordeal of labor and delivery. Experts recommend waiting for at least six weeks after delivery before trying any kind of weight loss diet.
The best way to lose weight after pregnancy is to do it slowly and gradually over a few months’ time. This way your body recovers, you are able to nurse your baby and at the same time go back to what you were before the baby. A combination of good nutritious diet and exercise is the best way to do so.
Some tips for healthy eating which will help lose weight:
- Do not skip any meals, especially breakfast. Some days when the baby may cry more than usual or be unwell you may be so caught up that you forget to eat. This will diminish your energy but not help in losing any weight. Eating breakfast in the morning gives you an energy boost and stops you from feeling tired later in the day.
- Eat frequent small meals (5 or 6) throughout the day, rather than three main meals. You can also have some healthy snacks (nut, raisins etc.) between the meals.
- Eat slowly so that you that you notice when you are full and do not overeat.
- Pick non-fat milk and dairy products over full-fat products. Look for low-fat or fat-free dairy products. You do not need to drink whole milk in order to make good breast milk.
- For snacking, choose fruits and vegetables. Foods like apples, oranges, bananas and carrots are great snack choices. They are low in fat, but high in vitamins and fibre.
- Drink a lot of fluids. Drinking water helps the body flush out fats. Choose liquids like milk, water and fresh fruit juice over soda or canned juices which are high in sugar content.
- Consume boiled, baked or broiled food rather than fried food.
Crash dieting or following a fad diet where some particular foods are avoided is not a good way to lose the weight. It may work at first but eventually, the weight that you lose comes back. You may also lose muscle weight instead of fat by going on a crash diet which is actually unhealthy.
As mentioned above, a healthy diet combined with regular exercise is the best way to shed the kilos. Exercise makes you lose fat instead of muscle.
When you are ready to begin, start by eating a little less and moving a little more each day. Steady, gradual weight loss is healthier than rapid weight loss, so do not push yourself into a hard routine for quick results.
Returning to our pre-pregnancy weight or shape may not be possible for all of us. For many women, pregnancy causes lasting changes in the body. You may have a less taut belly, wider hips, and a larger waistline. Make your goals about your new body realistic. Being fit, strong and healthy is more desirable than being thin but unhealthy.