Mangoes are generally loved by children and adults alike. The soft pulpy flesh of the fruit makes it ideal for experimentation and innovation. If you want to surprise your little one and the rest of the family with something unexpected on the dinner table, try out the Mango Idli.
INGREDIENTS (250 ml cup used)
- Mango pulp (preferably Alphonso) – 1 cup
- Yogurt – 1 cup
- Coconut – 1 cup grated
- Fine grain semolina (Chiroti rava) – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Ghee – 1 tablespoon
- Cashews – 8-10 (optional)
- Pinch of cardamom powder
- Heat 1 tablespoon of ghee in a thick bottomed pan and roast the semolina. Keep stirring it until it is golden brown in colour.
- Grind rest of the ingredients to make a very fine paste or puree. Then add this paste to roasted rava, to make a thick batter. Add 1 teaspoon of cardamom powder (optional).
- Grease the idli pan with ghee/oil. Fill all the portions with the mango batter and let it cook on medium flame for 20 minutes. Garnish with roasted cashews.
Mango-the king of fruits, is loaded with Vitamin A and contains a higher level of carotenoids than almost any other fruit. Carotenoids reduce the risk of cancer and heart disease. Mangoes are low in fat, low in calories but are very high in fiber.
Mangoes are rich in Vitamins C and B as well as iron, potassium and protein. The nutritious combination of vitamin C, vitamin A and 25 different kinds of carotene keep your baby’s immunity system healthy.