INGREDIENTS (240 ml cup used)
- Carrot – 1 large
- Almonds – 6 to 8
- Whole milk / water – as needed
- Jaggery (grated) or coconut palm sugar – Small piece (Optional)
- Ghee – ¼ teaspoon
- Soak almonds in water for at least 6 hours. Peel off the skin. Keep it aside.
- Wash peel and chop the carrots into cubes.
- Add carrots, milk and almonds to a blender make a smooth puree.
- The consistency must be thick and should not be runny.
- Transfer this puree to a wide bowl which can be conveniently placed inside pressure cooker or boiling pan.
- Pour 2 cups water in a pressure pan or a pan suitable for double boiling method.
- When the water starts boiling carefully place the bowl with purée in the pan.
- Keep stirring occasionally so that the purée is cooked evenly. Continue cooking for 12 to 15 minutes. You will notice that the consistency becomes thick slightly.
- Add grated jaggery or coconut palm sugar and ghee. Stir to melt and mix the puree well.
- Continue cooking for another 2 to 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave it in the double boiler for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm or after it has cooled down.
- In case you want to avoid cooking in the double boiler, you can steam the carrots and soaked almonds before blending them, but in that case, the taste will differ.
Carrots are a rich source of Vitamin A, beta-carotene and are also high in anti-oxidants and boost immunity.
Almonds are extremely beneficial for health being rich in unsaturated fatty acids, antioxidants as well as plant protein. Research suggests that almonds are capable of boosting brain capacity and reducing cholesterol.