Maternity photography is a fast growing market for professional photographers, but documenting a woman body during pregnancy can be challenging. However with a little sensitivity and planning the shoots carefully, maternity photo shoots can give expectant mothers not only pregnancy photos they will cherish forever, but an experience they will never forget.
Before booking your session or pulling out your own camera it is best to gain some knowledge and inspiration from these ideas. Many professional photographers specialize in:
- Artistic, intimate, black and white maternity images shot in a variety of locations.
- Coffee-table book style maternity photography, occasionally bordering on fashion, in dreamy colours.
- Emotional, classic and sweet maternity photography with the partner.
- Romantic, playful and natural studio images.
- Well-composed, whimsical and candid maternity images.
- Sometimes humorous, sometimes intimate, stand out from the crowd images.
- Takes pictures right from the bump to the day of birth and right up to those wonder years.
Props are a great way to turn your maternity images into a work of art. You can use these props to announce your new addition:
- Family by numbers: If you do not have a wall you can write on, you can simply pose for the photo, leaving space for the numbers and symbols.
- Fell asleep reading: You can capture a real moment of cuteness by sleeping over your family’s favourite childhood picture book.
- + 1 blocks: Let everyone see that two is soon to be three by using + 1 blocks. This is a great way of letting friends and family in on your surprise addition.
- Listening to baby: You can have your partner listen to baby bump.
- You’ve got mail! : You can use an envelope cut out, place it on the mom-to-be’s belly and capture the image.
- Beer or baby? : This is a hilarious way of announcing baby on the way and making fun of daddy’s belly.
- Bump ahead! : Caution ….bump ahead!! Try to find a nice spot for some roadside pictures.
- Monthly timeline: Time will soon start to fly when your baby arrives, so remember and capture each moment with a month by month picture.
- Cute clothesline: Tiny trousers and super small skirts will have friends and family counting the days until they get to meet the fashionista.
- Picture perfect: A beautiful frame standing between the proud parents can make a picture perfect moment for you.
- Hello my name is….: Introducing the new addition to the group with a simple name tag will make everyone know someone special is on the way.
- Family feet: Get your twinkle toes together for a family feet and baby bootie photo.
- Coming soon: Keep everyone in suspense with a sign for ‘coming soon’.
- Countdown t-shirt: A countdown t-shirt is a great way to record your growing bump.
- Sleeping beauty: A doll’s bed can be a gorgeous photo prop for a newborn.
A little bit of creativity and some Photoshopping is all that is required to record and capture the beautiful moments of pregnancy.