Once your baby starts going on play-dates with other children, and having his or her own circle of friends, it will lead to social interactions when you will have to invite children and their mothers to your home for dates. One of the major concerns when planning such events are the snacks that you can serve, that will be tasty, non-messy and can be enjoyed by the children and adults equally. Mexican bread rolls are easy to make and are very tasty.
INGREDIENTS (250 ml cup used)
- Whole wheat bread or white bread – 12 slices
- Butter – 2 tablespoon
- All purpose flour (maida) – 2 tablespoon
- Milk – 1 cup
- Sweet corn kernels – ¼ cup, boiled
- Capsicum – ½ cup, finely chopped
- Processed cheese – ¼ cup, grated
- Black pepper powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – for deep frying
METHOD OF PREPARATION
- In a non-stick pan, heat the butter and add the all-purpose flour to it. Using a spatula, stir continuously to roast the flour.
- Add milk to the flour and butter mixture and stir well so that no lumps are formed.
- Cook on medium flame for about 2 minutes till the sauce thickens.
- Add the corn, cheese, capsicum, black pepper powder and salt to the sauce and mix well. Cook on medium flame for 1 minute. Keep stirring occasionally to prevent the sauce mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Remove from the pan and keep aside.
- Remove the crust of all bread slices and flatten each slice with the help of a rolling pin.
- Place about 1 teaspoon of the filling in the centre of the bread and roll the slice tightly. Dab some water at the edges of the bread slice and press to seal tightly.
- Repeat the steps to make all rolls.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan and fry the bread rolls till they turn golden brown on all sides.
- Remove on an absorbent paper and serve with tomato ketchup or yoghurt dip.
100 grams of sweet corn kernels contain about 86 calories and are mainly composed of simpler carbohydrates like glucose and sucrose. It has high levels of beta carotenes and vitamin A. It is also a good source of flavonoid antioxidant, ferulic acid.
Cheese contains a host of nutrients like calcium, protein, phosphorus, zinc, vitamin A and vitamin B12.