Vegetable curry is a nutritious recipe and goes well with roti or rice and dal. It has high fiber content and thus stimulates metabolism.
INGREDIENTS (240 ml cup used)
- Chopped mixed vegetables – cauliflower, carrots, beans, potatoes, peas, capsicum – 2 cups
- Onion – 1 medium sized, finely chopped
- Tomato – 2, finely chopped
- Green chilly – 1, finely chopped (optional)
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder- 2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder- ½ teaspoon
- Kashmiri mirch powder- ¼ teaspoon
- Garam masala powder- ½ teaspoon
- Cumin seeds- 1 teaspoon
- Cottage cheese (paneer) cubes- 8 to 10 pieces (optional)
- Water – 2 cups
- Cream of milk – 2 tablespoon
- Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Chopped coriander leaves- few sprigs
- Salt – to taste
METHOD OF PREPARATION
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed wok or kadhai.
- Add cumin seeds. When they start spluttering, add the chopped onions. Fry the onions till they turn golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell disappears.
- Add the tomatoes and keep stirring until they become pulpy and soft. When the mixture appears to have mixed and cooked well, add all the ground spices.
- Mix the ingredients well in low flame and add the green chillies.
- Now add the chopped mixed vegetables, salt and water.
- Cover it and let the vegetables cook for a while in low flame.
- Once the vegetables are half cooked, add the cream. Cover the wok to cook in low flame again. Check the vegetables intermittently to avoid the vegetables from getting burnt.
- Sprinkle a little water if necessary. If you are using cottage cheese, add the cubes and mix well.
- Once the vegetables have been cooked well, turn heat off, sprinkle the chopped coriander and serve. You can also add a pinch of garam masala to the curry.
Vegetables are a great source of vitamins and minerals. Vegetables that are green, yellow or orange in colour are rich sources of beta-carotene, calcium, vitamin B-complex, vitamin C, vitamin A and vitamin K. Cottage cheese is rich in protein and calcium. 100 grams of cottage cheese contains 103 calories.