The foetus is in the early developmental stage during the first trimester. It is the time when the major organs are in the initial formation stage, not to forget the development of the body systems. So the mother needs to take adequate and sensible precautions so that the foetal development is not disrupted at any cost.
It is essential to take all necessary precautions to ensure that both the mother and the baby are as healthy as possible. Following are an essential things to be followed:
- A good health care provider: Good prenatal care is extremely important throughout pregnancy.
- Schedule a prenatal appointment: it is important to schedule an appointment as soon as the mother discovers that she is pregnant.
- Know what to expect at the prenatal appointment: The first prenatal visit, in addition to confirming the pregnancy, also includes a battery of tests and examinations to assess the mother’s health as well as the health of the foetus.
- Schedule upcoming prenatal visits with the doctor: It is important seeing the doctor regularly throughout pregnancy. Prenatal care typically consists of a visit to the doctor once a month for the first six months, twice per month during the 7th and 8th months, and then every week after that until delivery time.
The mother must stay away from certain lifestyle habits. Here is a list of some habits which can prove harmful during the first trimester of pregnancy:
- Alcohol- A strict no-no.
- Caffeine- It is advisable to cut down or eliminate beverages with caffeine content.
- Cigarettes – Smoking is extremely harmful to pregnant women. She should be kept away from passive smoking too.
- Sauna- Hot tubs and saunas involve staying in an environment that is above normal body temperature. The high temperature hampers the normal development
- .0of the foetus.
- Avoid seafood- though they are a good source of essential fat, they also contain a high amount of mercury which is harmful to the foetus.
- Medicines- Over the counter medicines should be avoided at all cost, regardless of how minute the ailment is. Also, avoid X-Rays as the rays can severely harm the development of the foetus.
Keeping hydrated is important. Pregnant women experience an increase in blood volume as the body prepares to support the mother and the foetus, and a good hydration is needed for this. Drinking plenty of water will also help alleviate symptoms of fatigue, constipation and preterm labour.
It is important to follow a healthy diet throughout the pregnancy because getting enough calories from healthy sources is important to keep the mother and the foetus healthy.
Right care is extremely important during the first trimester. Right diet and healthy lifestyle must be adopted in order to prevent mishaps. Remember to stay away from dog or cat litter and pesticides, insecticides and paints as it may prove harmful for the pregnancy.