Some of the symptoms that you are going to experience during the second trimester are:
- Backache: You gain weight in the second trimester and your baby bump starts showing gradually. Because of this weight gain, a lot of pressure is exerted on your spinal cord which results in lower back pain. Pregnancy causes posture change and the new posture that you walk, stand or sit in may be a reason for your backache. Another reason can be emotional stress; stress causes muscle tension. Try to sleep on your side and support your back with pillows and place a pillow, also, between your legs. Try improving your posture. When you feel stressed out, do talk to someone reliable. You can take a hot bag or ice bag to relax your back muscles.
- Quickening: The first foetal movement is called quickening. In the second trimester, you are likely to feel your baby’s first movement. This is one of the happiest moments in your pregnancy. It is like a fluttering sensation inside your stomach. But as the baby grows you will surely feel the kicks and the punches.
- Oedema:Oedema or swollen feet is a common symptom during the second trimester. And this condition will continue to stay until delivery. This is the result of increased body fluids and the pressure of your uterus which is continuously growing. You may also experience ankle pain due to increased weight. To avoid oedema you can walk. Walking is the most appropriate exercise during pregnancy. Wear comfortable shoes and avoid standing or sitting for a long time.
- Abdominal pain: Abdominal pain during pregnancy is normal but severe abdominal pain should be brought to the notice of the doctor immediately. In the second trimester, abdominal pain usually results due to the tension created on your ligaments and pelvic muscles by the uterus. Past surgeries can also be the reason for this pain.
- Dizziness and breathlessness: Hormonal and blood pressure changes are a part and parcel of pregnancy. Change in blood pressure causes dizziness.Keep yourself hydrated, eat properly and try keeping yourself comfortable all the time. Breathlessness is caused because your uterus takes a lot of space in your abdominal area, overcrowding your internal space. This causes other organs, including your lungs, to squeeze making it difficult for air to flow in and out.
Some of the other symptoms of the second trimester are bleeding gums, heartburn, constipation, vaginal discharge, frequent urination.