Suji or semolina is easy to digest and the following is an easy to cook porridge recipe for your baby. This porridge is for babies, so, it is without sugar. If you want to make it sweet, add a piece of mashed banana or a little applesauce to this mixture for natural sweetness and added nutrients.
- Semolina – 1 tablespoon
- Water – 1 cup
- Ghee – few drops (optional)
- Take a thick-bottomed pan and dry roast the semolina.
- Keep stirring it continuously to avoid burning the semolina. Once your baby has been started on dairy products, you can roast the semolina in few drops of ghee. This will add a little amount of fat and taste to the dish.
- As the semolina turns light brownish in colour you will know that it has been roasted. It also gives out a sweet aroma.
- Add water to the semolina. Keep stirring to avoid lumps.
- Bring it to your desired consistency for the baby by adding more water if needed. It should be a little thin as semolina will absorb more water once it cools down.
- Your baby will love the smooth texture. Add mashed banana or apple sauce to make it sweet. You can also add your baby’s regular milk to adjust the consistency and taste.
- You can make this porridge as thin or as thick as per your baby’s preference. You may add more milk or water for thinner consistency.
- You may also add powdered nuts for added nutrition, once your baby has been introduced to them.
Semolina is a good source of sodium and carbohydrate.