INGREDIENTS (240 ml cup used)
- Rice – ½ cup, washed and drained
- Masoor Dal (Split red lentil) – ½ cup, washed and drained
- Spinach – 1 cup, chopped
- Potato – ½ cup peeled and cubed
- Ghee – 1 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida – ¼ teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Take a pressure cooker, heat ghee and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start crackling, add the asafoetida and turmeric powder.
- Sauté this mixture on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the spinach and potatoes and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the rice, lentil, salt and 3 cups of water.
- Mix well and allow it to cook for 3 whistles.
- Let the steam escape before opening the lid.
- Serve immediately with fresh curd.
White rice is a relatively good source of energy, carbohydrates, calcium, iron, thiamin, pantothenic acid, folate and vitamin E. Pediatricians and nutritionists recommend rice as the first solid food for babies. Split red lentil is a great source of protein. Spinach is rich in calcium, folate, vitamin A and vitamin K.