INGREDIENTS (240 ml cup used)
- Rice (can use either brown and white rice) – ¼ cup
- Sweet potatoes – ½ cup, chopped
- Ghee – as needed
- Jaggery – 40 to 50 grams
- Green cardamom powder – a pinch (optional)
- Roasted cashews – As desired
- Raisins – As desired
- Wash the rice and soak for about 30 minutes (2 hours if using brown rice).
- Cook the rice and the potato in a pressure cooker for 1-2 whistles on a medium to low flame.
- Mash the rice and sweet potato to make a paste. The rice should not be grainy.
- Add jaggery to a bowl with little water. Melt the jaggery and then filter it. Add the jaggery syrup to the rice.
- Mix well and cook on a low to medium flame till the rice starts bubbling.
- Add ghee and cardamom powder and let it cool down to room temperature before serving.
- For the salted version, replace jaggery with a proportionate amount of salt as per taste. The rest of the ingredients and cooking method remains the same.
- Sweet potato is rich in potassium, dietary fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and iron.
- Rice is a primary source of carbohydrate with some amount of protein. Brown rice contains more fiber than white rice.