Pregnancy is a crucial time for a woman. Eating healthy food, adequate exercise and rest are the three necessities for a pregnant woman. Punjabi foods are wholesome in nature. Wheat plays an important part of this cuisine. Wheat products are rich in protein and fiber.
INGREDIENTS ( using 250 ml cup)
- Whole wheat flour – 1½ cups
- Grated jaggery (gur) – 8 tablespoons
- Sesame seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Ghee – 2 to 3 tablespoons
- Salt – according to taste
METHOD OF PREPARATION
- Add grated jaggery and two tablespoons of water on a heated non stick pan, and cook until the jaggery melts.
- Remove from heat and let the jaggery syrup cool.
- Mix whole wheat flour, sesame seeds, ghee, salt with the jaggery syrup and sufficient water in a bowl, and knead to make a dough.
- Make small balls out of the dough. Roll them in the shape of flat bread or rotis.
- Heat a non-stick tawa and cook the rotis, on medium heat, turning sides, till both the sides turn golden.
- Apply ghee on the rotis and serve hot.
Jaggery is prepared from sugarcane and is free from industrial chemicals that are used to bleach and process sugar. 10 grams of jaggery contains 38 calories. It helps in reducing gas, bloating and flatulence, and aids in digestion; and also helps to keep blood pressure under control.
Ghee is considered to be beneficial during pregnancy as it is rich in medium chain fatty acids that are directly absorbed by the liver to produce energy. Medium chain fatty acids also help in burning other fats in the body. Being rich in butyric acid, it provides energy, helps in intestinal wall support and boosts the immunity system by producing T cells in the gut. Ghee stimulates the secretion of gastric acid and helps in digestive process.