In your third trimester, you are quite excited about the impending arrival of your little one but you are also plagued with self-doubt and anxiety. Plus there is the added stress of your limited physical mobility, bowel/bladder problems, whimsical sleep patterns and mood swings.
Exercise like swimming and walking can be a great stress buster. If you have been advised against it for some reason or it the environment does not support the cause, then meditation can be the answer for you.
Here we will talk about five basic meditation techniques that can help you stay positive, relaxed and upbeat both during pregnancy and the labour.
- Deep Belly Meditation: Place your hands on your belly, gently cradling your baby. Observe the sensation your hands feel. Take a deep breath. If you feel that your thoughts are wandering, then take a deeper breath into your belly. Do these five minutes each day, gently adding more minutes every week.
- Positive Mantra: Make up a positive chant like”this is for you baby”. Words are a very powerful tool. When you say something you strongly believe in, it affects our consciousness, nervous system and your very being. Chant the mantra with every breath you take if you are doing yoga poses. This same mantra will help you through the labour process.
- Visualization: Visualization is the creation of mental imagery along with meditation. Imagine yourself in a beautiful place surrounded by happiness while you meditate. If you practice visualization in your third trimester, then it can really come in use during labour.
- Imagine each contraction as a wave in the ocean. Allow it to peak in intensity and then break down and dissolve. Let the wave wash over you.
- Visualize your cervix as a flower that is opening. Chant your mantra and urge it to open. As the flower unfolds in the mind, the cervix dilation will be assisted.
- Third Eye: The area between your eyebrows on your forehead is known as the third eye. The pineal gland is directly behind this. This gland produces the hormone serotonin. This hormone regulates the sleep- wake up patterns of your body and your energy levels. Be aware of this part of your forehead. Relax the muscles of the third eye whenever you feel stressed.
Meditation combined with yoga and breathing techniques can work wonders for you in the third trimester. The yoga poses relieve the stress in the body and the meditation gives the mental focus required for giving birth. You will feel refreshed and anticipate your due date with confidence.