With your baby due to arrive soon, your focus slowly shifts from your own needs to what you will need when the baby arrives. The huge range of baby products available in the market can be overwhelming.
The list below should help you decide what you need to plan for in advance.
- Nappies/Diapers: In India, you can choose from disposable diapers, cloth nappies, nappy pads, waterproof nappies or reusable diapers.
- If you choose disposable diapers, buy a pack or two. You can buy more once you are sure that the particular brand of diaper is suiting your baby. Some babies may get rashes in one brand and not get in another.
- 1-2 changing mats.
- A mild diaper rash cream or petroleum jelly.
- Clothes: Your baby will need several sets of tops, bottoms, onesies, mittens, booties and vests. For winters, you will also need thermals, woolen sweaters, caps and socks. In India, you may choose to use hand me downs during the initial days. Keep them washed and ironed before your baby arrives.
- Bedding: Plan in advance how your baby will sleep.
- If you choose to sleep with the baby in the same bed, you need waterproof pads and a soft comforter
- If your baby will sleep in a separate crib/cot, you will also need to buy a baby cot, mattress and fitted crib sheets.
- A small mosquito net that is easily available in India is a good buy. This is to avoid using insect repellents and other creams on the new born skin.
- Bathing Essentials: In the initial days, it is important to have your baby’s neck supported at all times. You can choose from a variety of bathtubs that are designed to support the newborn baby and can be used until the baby is 1.5-2 years old. You will also need to buy:
- Mild bathing soap, baby powder (talc-free) and baby lotion.
- A nail clipper designed for babies. You will be surprised to see how fast those little nails grow.
- Massage oil to give your baby a massage before the bath.
- You will also need an antiseptic solution to clean the cord until it falls out.
- Bottles: If you choose to give your baby formula milk, you will need to buy 4 to 6, BPA free, feeding bottles. For sterilizing the bottles, you will need a big cooking pan or a sterilizer. Buy the formula which is recommended by your doctor.
- Rattle/Toys: Rattles can come very handy to stop your baby from crying and is every baby’s first toy. Make sure that they are made of food grade plastic and non-toxic paint.
When you are out shopping, you might get overwhelmed by the number of products out there for your child. Strollers, baby carriers, high chairs, etc can be purchased later. Buy the essentials like diapers, clothes, toiletries and bedding first and come back to shop once you better identify your needs later.