Through constant movement, they begin strengthening large muscles and improving fine motor coordination. Around 18 -24 months they begin using their imagination. They are able to match objects by shape and colour, follow simple instructions and dance to music.
For toddlers 13 -24 months old the best toys are:
- Toys like the jack-in-the-box, pail and shovel and water toys.
- Building block play sets and bead mazes that encourage experimentation and help develop fine motor skills.
- Active toys such as swing sets and wagons that allow toddlers to move and build strong muscles.
- Stuffed animals and baby dolls for cuddling.
- Rocking horses, playhouses, toy appliances and other toys that help them pretend play.
- Puzzles, blocks and construction sets that create opportunities for problem solving.
- Toddler climbers, tricycles and ride-on toys that encourage muscle growth and control.
- Simple musical instruments.
- Age –appropriate educational videos and music.