As early as the second month, your baby will begin studying his hands and try to swipe at large colourful objects. Toys which stimulate sensory and motor development are best for this age.
For babies under six months, the best toys are:
- Rattles, teethers and other sensory toys that expose the baby to a variety of sounds and textures, and encourage gross motor skills.
- Colourful toys that stimulate vision.
- Baby safe mirrors.
- Baby activity centres and play gyms that encourage reaching and grasping.
- Appropriate mats that help build abdominal strength.
- Toys which have soothing music that stimulate vision and hearing.
- Hanging toys that improve eye and limb coordination.