INGREDIENTS (240 ml cup used)
- Rice (white, short-grain or long grain) – 5 tablespoon
- Urad dal – 5 tablespoon
- Water – 1 ½ cups
- Seasonal vegetables like carrot, pumpkin, bottle gourd, ridge gourd, spinach – 1 cup, cubed
- A generous pinch of cumin seeds
- Salt – to taste
- Ghee – 2 teaspoon
- Wash rice and dal together and soak for about 4 hours. Drain and set aside.
- On a low flame cook the rice, dal, vegetables and salt in a pressure cooker with 1 and a half cup of water for 2 whistles.
- When the pressure goes off; mash the rice, dal and vegetable mixture into a coarse mixture.
- In a tempering pan, heat ghee, add cumin seeds. Once the seeds start spluttering, pour it over the khichdi, mix well and serve.
Method 2 (for fussy kids)
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker, add cumin and allow them to crackle.
- Add the drained rice and dal. Sauté the rice and dal mixture in ghee for 1 to 2 minutes until the dal smells good then add the vegetables.
- Add salt, one and a half cups of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- When the pressure goes off, mash coarsely and serve.
- Ural dal is one of the richest sources of protein and vitamin B. It also contains iron, folic acid, calcium, magnesium and potassium. Urad dal is a good source of dietary fiber and iron.