For some parents, the idea of keeping the pregnancy a secret is simply unrealistic. They feel that half the fun is sharing the news. Many like to wait until after the 8-week ultrasound to tell everyone. Perhaps the biggest advantage of early telling is that you will get support and comfort if there are complications. Your friends and family can share the wonderful initial exhilaration.
However if there are occupational exposures that are unsafe for pregnancy, you do not have the luxury of keeping the news from your seniors. You will need to tell them right away so that you can make arrangements to avoid the hazards.
Here are some fun ways you can spill the pregnant beans:
- Giving the grandmothers cards which read, “So do we call you Grandma now?
- Sending out copies of the ultrasound picture.
- Capture the moment when you have just announced that you are pregnant at a family get together.
- Decorating the house with balloons and inviting the family over.
- Asking family and friends if you are looking pregnant in a particular outfit.
- Giving your partner a card which reads, “You are now eligible for Father’s Day cards”.
- Hanging a poster that reads, “Welcome home, Daddy”.
- Sending out baby books to friends and relatives with the message, “Gifts from a future bookworm”.
The most important thing to remember is that do what feels right for you and your partner. It is also necessary to tell at least one mommy girlfriend that you are pregnant so that you can share, complain, rant and marvel to someone who can truly empathise.