Rest assured you are not alone in thinking that your baby’s actions border on absurd. Here are a few such things that you might have noticed-
- Their feet look purple: It takes around 10 minutes for the newborn’s circulatory system to kick in and oxygenate the entire body. So do not be surprised to see your baby having blue feet the first time you hold them. They gain colour soon.
- Irregular breathing: This one can give you a panic attack. You might notice that your new born has difficulty while breathing. This is because they do not a regular breathing pattern as yet and may pause breathing once in a while. All newborns are irregular breathers.
- Wide-eyed stare: Newborns see best at about 8 to 10 inches away. They cannot see up close and anything further than that. Their wide –eyed glassy stare is nothing but their way of learning and processing information on whatever is it they are fixating on.
- Grimace: Sometimes you catch them making weird expressions that border on a grimace. No, they are not being cynical. These are a reaction to a physical stimulation or a reflex reaction. If this borders on excessive or continue after the first few months, talk to your doctor about it.
- Cross-eyed: This one can make you feel worried about the condition of their eyes. But they appear cross- eyed for two reasons- First; they might have extra folds of skin around their eyes that make them look this way. Second, their eyes are not coordinated as yet. They will stop doing this at three months.
- Smile with their tongues out: You might be very thrilled when the baby smiles for the first time, but we are sorry to say this might again merely be a reflex reaction. They have little control over their facial expressions and movements. But that should not stop you from enjoying the smile.
- Raise a fist in the air and stare at it: Around the age of a month or two, your baby will discover their fist. You will see them raise it up and stare at it for a minute or two. They look like they are in love with this body part. This is probably the first exercise in hand- eye coordination for them.
If not for these you might observe your new born displaying other alien traits. In most cases, they are completely normal and they outgrow it in a matter of months. In case you are worried do not hesitate to call your doctor.