Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- Rolled oats – ¼ cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Apple – 1 medium sized
- Ghee – ¼ -½ teaspoon
- Sugar or jaggery – to taste
- Since you are making this dish for a baby below 18 months you need to powder the oats. This will make it easier for them to digest.
- Add oats powder to a pot along with water. Let it rest for a while until it softens and becomes like a paste. Cook the oats on a low to medium flame. Check if the oats are cooked completely.
- Wash and peel apple. When making for baby, puree the apple, but at a later stage when you will be making it for your toddler just grate or mince the apple.
- When the porridge thickens, add the apple, sugar or jaggery and ghee.
- Mix it well and cover the pot. Turn off the heat and allow the porridge to rest. If desired, the porridge can be further cooked till the apple gets cooked well. Let the porridge cool. This dish can be served as breakfast.
- Once your baby has been introduced to nuts you can also add almond powder to the mixture and stir it well.
Oats are rich in dietary fiber and aid in digestion and stool formation. One cup of dry oats contains 307 calories and is rich in manganese, selenium, phosphorus, magnesium, carotenoids, vitamin E and flavonoids.
A medium sized apple contains 95 calories and is rich in potassium, phosphorus, vitamin A and dietary fiber.