- Chicken – 250 gm (boneless if possible)
- Water or vegetable stock -3 cups
- Spring onion – 1 stick
- Onion – 1, medium sized
- Cloves – 2
- Cardamom stick – ½ inch sized
- Fresh coriander leaves – 4 sprigs
- Bay leaf – 1
- Garlic – 6 to 7 cloves
- Potatoes – 2 medium sized, peeled and diced
- Sweet potatoes – 2 medium sized, peeled and diced
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- Wash the chicken properly and remove the fat. Put the chicken in a large pot and pour in the water. Bring the water to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the cloves and the onions to the pot. Then add the spring onion, garlic, coriander, cardamom stick and the bay leaf.
- Allow the mixture to simmer for 50 minutes on medium flame, until the chicken is tender.
- Strain the contents of the pot into a large bowl using a colander. Remove the chicken from the colander and set it aside, then discard the rest of the contents of the colander.
- Pour the strained liquid back into the cooking pot and bring to a boil. Add the diced white potatoes, reduce the heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes, covered the pot until the potatoes are tender. Remove the potato with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the diced sweet potato to the pot and simmer, covered, for 5-10 minutes, until tender. Pour the sweet potato/chicken stock mixture into a blender and blend it together, then return the liquid to the cooking pot.
- If you are using chicken with bones, remove the chicken from the bones with your fingers and tear them into small pieces.
- Add the cooked white potato and the chicken to the cooking pot and warm the mixture.
- You can serve it to your baby as it is, if he or she can chew and likes textured food or you can put it back into the blender and make a puree.
- This soup is delicious and can be served to adults as well. You can choose to add salt and pepper.
- Serve with a dollop of butter.
100 grams of de-boned and de-skinned chicken contains 165 calories, 31 g protein and 4 g of total fat.
Sweet potato is rich in potassium, dietary fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and iron.