INGREDIENTS (240 ml cup used)
- Chickpeas – ½ cup
- Turmeric – ¼ teaspoon (optional)
- Salt – as needed
- Water as needed
- Dry ginger powder – ¼ to ½ teaspoon or ½ tsp freshly grated ginger
- Fresh mint leaves or dried fenugreek leaves – ½ to 1 teaspoon, chopped
- Lemon juice as needed or dry mango powder – ½ teaspoon
- Black pepper powder – ¼ to ½ teaspoon
- Wash and soak chickpeas for about 8 to 10 hours.
- Put the chickpeas in a pressure cook with a cup of water and let it cook on medium heat for 3 whistles. Once the pressure comes down, set aside to cool. Ensure that the chickpeas are soft when you press one between your fingers and the center has been cooked properly.
- Blend the boiled chickpeas to a smooth puree with additional water to bring it to the desired consistency of soup.
- Pour the pureed chickpeas back in a pan, bring it to a boil till it bubbles up, and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Garnish chickpea soup with fresh mint leaves and pepper if your baby likes the flavours. You can serve warm with croutons or cutlets too.
- You can garnish the soup with a spoonful of low-fat cream for an added taste.
100 grams of boiled chickpeas contain 164 calories, 8.9 grams of protein, 27 IU of vitamin A, 172 mcg of folate, 291 mg of potassium, 49 mg of calcium, 168 mg of phosphorus and 2.89 mg of iron.