Colds and flu are brought on by viruses. It is not always possible to keep them away from the little ones. A cold or flu usually takes about ten days to run its course.
New mothers can pass on the cold and cough to their little ones too. The mother can try to ease the child’s discomfort by trying some tried and tested home remedies.
Home remedies work wonders for the babies. Here are some simple natural home remedies:
- The baby can be given a massage with some mustard oil or coconut oil heated with powdered camphor and then allowing it to cool. Applied on the chest, back, nose, throat and forehead gives relief to the little one.
- Applying a paste of saffron and water is also effective. To a pinch of saffron add a few drops of water and mix. This paste can be applied on the child’s forehead, chest, back, hands and soles of feet. The cold usually subsides in a couple of days.
- To get rid of the child’s cough, wrap some Ajwain (Aniseed) in a piece of cloth and make it into a ball. Heat the ball of cloth in a ‘tawa’ and gently place it on the child’s chest. Move it back and forth. Make sure the cloth is not too hot. The child will feel much better.
- One of the most effective ways to treat cough and cold is to crush fresh tulsi leaves, add a few drops of honey to the paste and feed it to the baby.
- A teaspoon of turmeric added to a small amount of warm milk with a teaspoon of honey can be given to the baby. The results are almost immediate.
- The baby should be kept hydrated by giving him warm water at regular intervals. Water boiled with Ajwain or boiled with cumin seeds help too.
- Warm chicken soup increases the immunity of the baby if he is 8 months old or more. Tomato soup or vegetable soup can also be given.
- For babies, one year olds can also been given, honey mixed with few drops of ginger. This helps soothe the throat and cough.
- Toddlers above two years of age can also be given a mixture of jaggery or honey with some crushed pepper to remove phlegm.
It is important to understand that these home remedies will take some time to work and the mother should be patient. Home remedies are meant to provide symptomatic relief to minor health issues and cannot substitute medical protocol for treatment of any illness. If the symptoms persist beyond few days, please consult a doctor.