There are several reasons why your 3 years old might get an upset stomach. Unlike us, children usually find it hard to cope with even a minor ache in the tummy. Stomach viruses are a common reason why your 3 years old might vomit. Antibiotics have no effect on viral infections. The discomfort normally goes away within a few days, but can be very upsetting to children.
Besides viruses, cause of stomach pain in a 3-year-old could be due to the following:
- Anxiety or nerves
- A bacterial infection
- Food poisoning
- Metal poisoning
- Side effects of laxatives
A sign that your 3-year-old is suffering from an upset stomach is if his/her stomach is distended or if he/she curls up in a ball and pull the legs toward the stomach. There are a variety of home remedies that can soothe and provide much-needed nutrients to your child struggling to keep the food down.
- Baking soda is a natural digestive and helps relieve stomach aches. A quarter teaspoon or less, mixed with 8 ounces of warm water is sufficient to ease an upset stomach.
- A cup of chamomile tea is also a handy remedy. Chamomile helps to relax the upper digestive tract muscles and thereby reduces cramps and stomach aches.
- Mashed, cut or steamed apples or bananas help ease your child’s stomach ache.
- A teaspoon of ginger juice with honey is a better option for your 3-year-old. Honey improves the taste, especially for kids. Ginger tea is an alternative which calms the stomach.
- Honey is a natural digestive that contains antioxidants. Give your child a warm glass of water with honey or make him/her consume a teaspoon of honey to alleviate the symptoms.
- Lemon squeeze mixed with water is good for your 3-year-old if he/she is constipated or has a minor tummy ache. A slice of lemon with mint leaves in a cup of tea will also help reduce the symptoms. Mint gets rid of harmful bacteria in the digestive tract.
- A refreshing cup of peppermint tea will ease your child’s stomach ache. Peppermint candy can also be consumed.
- Drinking sufficient amount of water is the best way to get rid of all the toxins and also helps avoid dehydration.
- Eating yogurt helps calm your 3-year old’s digestive system. Yogurt contains useful bacteria that reduce stomach ache.
All said and considered, remember that it is impossible for a layperson to determine the actual cause of stomach pain in a 3-year-old without consulting a doctor. It is prudent to seek professional help if your child is suffering for more than 24 hours.