You must be tired of hearing that you have to eat healthy, for two! Here is a tasty Punjabi recipe that is high on protein and low on spices. Chickpeas are rich in protein, calcium and vitamin C and are beneficial for you.
INGREDIENTS (250 ml cup used)
- Chickpeas soaked overnight – 1 cup
- Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Finely chopped onions – 1/3 cup
- Grated ginger – ½ teaspoon
- Grated garlic – 2 cloves
- Chopped tomatoes – ½ cup
- Chole masala – 2 teaspoon
- Dried mango powder (aamchur) – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 2 teaspoon
- Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – according to taste
METHOD OF PREPARATION
- Pressure cook the chickpeas until they are soft and cooked. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds and fry. When the seeds crackle, add the onion, ginger and garlic and sauté till the onion turns golden-brown. Add tomatoes and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the chole masala, chilli powder, aamchur, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin seed powder and salt and sauté for another minute.
- Add the Kabuli chana and ½ cup of water and mix well. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- 100 grams of boiled chickpeas contain 164 calories, 8.9 grams of protein, 27 IU of vitamin A, 172 mcg of folate, 291 mg of potassium, 49 mg of calcium, 168 mg of phosphorus and 2.89 mg of iron. Chickpeas produce gas and flatulence, so the consumption should be restricted in quantity for women who have the tendency of developing gas.