With its delicate and sweet flavour, spinach is very easy to cook and take just about a minute to soften. It is a nutrition-packed vegetable you should give your baby regularly by including it in soup and other dishes. However, please wash the spinach leaves well preferably using salt water before cooking. Moong dal as we know is rich in protein and fiber.
The ingredients of this soup make it a nutrition packed meal. You can serve it in the evening as a snack or as part of dinner.
INGREDIENTS (240ml cup used)
- Moong dal (split green gram) 4 tablespoon, soaked for 10 minutes and drained
- Spinach – 1/2 cup finely chopped
- Cornflour – 1 teaspoon
- Milk – ¼ cup (formula or low-fat milk)
- Oats – 2 tablespoons, lightly roasted
- Salt – to taste
- Black pepper – to taste, freshly ground
- In a pressure cooker add the moong dal with two cups of hot water and cook on medium flame for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. With the help of a whisk, beat the dal till it acquires a smooth runny texture.
- Dissolve the cornflour in milk.
- Add the spinach, cornflour-milk mixture, salt and pepper, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Once the soup has reached the desired consistency, add the lightly roasted oats to the soup and bring it to a quick boil.
- Add salt and a dash of pepper for taste.
- Serve warm.
100 grams of Moong Dal contains 106 kCal of energy and is a good source of sodium, potassium, carbohydrate and protein. Spinach is rich in calcium, folate, vitamin A and vitamin K.