A baby gains 2 inches height by 2 months from the time of the birth. And then again should gain 2 inches more by 4 months. Height of an infant increases by 30% by the age of 5 months and by more than 50% by 12 months. By the time your baby is 18 months old he/she should measure around 31-32 inches and around 35-39 inches when he/she is 30 months old. So you can see, how growth pace slows down.
Human Growth Hormone (HGH) is responsible for the height of your baby. Your baby can gain height by boosting the production of this hormone. HGH is secreted by the pituitary glands and the right kind of food and exercise can boost its production.
Here is a list of some food items which help boost your child’s height:
- Milk: milk can be introduced in your baby’s diet when they are 10 months old. Milk contains calcium which not only ensures height gain also strengthens the bones.
- Fruits and vegetables: rich in fibre, vitamins, potassium. All these minerals help your child to gain height.
- Grains: They are nutritious, contains fibre, vitamins, iron etc. these minerals are important in the growth years of your child.
- Eggs: eggs are rich in protein and vitamin. At least one egg should be added to your baby’s everyday food diet.
- Chicken, soybeans and fish: Helps in the development of the muscles and tissues in your baby.
Some of the activities that ensure height growth are:
- Stretching is a very effective way to gain height. You can ask your child to sit on the ground with the legs stretched in the front and then try touching the toe.
- Swimming helps a lot in boosting your child’s height growth.
- Hanging exercises also help. You may find hanging bars in the playground or you can install one at home.
- Posture is also very important. Do not let you child slouch or hunch.
- Yoga involves a lot of stretching and breathing activities which help in the height growth.
Growth hormones are secreted when your child is sleeping hence it is very important for your child to sleep at least for eight hours at night.