INGREDIENTS (250 ml cup used)
- Beetroot – 1 ½ cups, finely chopped into tiny cubes
- Cooked rice – 2 cups
- Green chilly – 1, chopped (optional)
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- A sprig of coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Oil or Ghee – 1 tablespoon
METHOD OF PREPARATION
- Steam the chopped beetroot and retain the water. Keep the boiled beetroot aside.
- In a pan, add some oil or ghee and cumin seeds. Add the green chillies and cooked beetroot to it. Mix well.
- Now add the coriander powder, chopped coriander leaves and salt and toss the ingredients together.
- Add the cooked rice and the beetroot water and mix gently taking care that the grains of rice do not break.
- Serve hot with raita or curry of your choice.
100 grams of raw beetroot contains 43 calories of energy, 1.61 grams of protein, 2.80 grams of dietary fiber, 109 µg of folates, 33 IU of Vitamin A, 16 mg of calcium, 23 mg of magnesium and 128.7 mg of betaine. Betaine can lower homocysteine levels, one of the most toxic metabolites, within the blood that can be harmful to blood vessels through promotion of platelet clot.