Momo is a kind of steamed flour dumpling, with vegetables or chicken filling. Being steamed and the filling being prepared using very less quantity of oil, momo is quite healthy as a snack or meal item. To make it healthier, you can replace half the quantity of refined flour with rice flour. Addition of rice flour might make the momo harder than the usual soft ones available in the market, but if you succeed in rolling the dough as thinly as possible, there will not be much change in taste.
INGREDIENTS (250 ml cup used)
- Chicken finely minced – 1 cup
- Refined flour (maida) – 2 cups (or Refined flour – 1 cup and Rice flour – 1 cup)
- Salt – to taste
- Spring onions with greens chopped – 2 (optional)
- Ginger chopped – 1 inch piece
- Green chilies chopped – 2
- Garlic chopped – 5 to 6 cloves
- Soy sauce – 2 teaspoons
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
METHOF OF PREPARATION
- Combine flour (or flours) and salt in a bowl, and mix well. Add sufficient water and knead into soft dough.
- Mix the minced chicken, spring onions, ginger, garlic, soy sauce and oil together for the inside filling and keep it aside.
- Divide the dough into 16 or 18 small portions. Shape them into balls and roll out thinly. Make sure that the dough you roll is really thin so that the filling gets cooked properly.
- Put a teaspoon of the filling in the middle. Bring all edges together to the centre, making small tight pleats.
- Pinch and twist the pleats to ensure that the momo is closed tightly.
- Steam the momos in a steamer for about twenty minutes. You can use an idli steamer for the purpose. Or you can place the momos on a small colander inside a large pan filled with just enough water to steam the momos. Or you can tie a piece of cotton cloth over the mouth of a “degchi” half filled with water, place the momos on the piece of cloth and cover with a large bowl of appropriate size.
- Serve hot with tomato-garlic sauce.
An average sized momo is 37.4 grams in weight and contains 84 calories, 5.7 grams of protein, 2.2 grams of fat and 9.9 grams of carbohydrates.